This is my second blog and it includes anything that want to sound off about - politics, humour, sport, television, films, newspapers, books, etc, etc. The first blog http://pauldonnelley.blogspot.com is purely about politics. Enjoy - and your feedback is always appreciated.

Friday, 2 February 2007

Who are they aimed at?

Earlier this week I bought a copy of the latest edition of Arena. It describes itself as "the world's smartest men's magazine". The first 20 pages or so were full of fashion advertisements for the likes of Dior, Dolce & Gabbana, etc.


I do wonder why virtually every model in those advertisements looked gay. (The ones after that section did not look gay.) Now, I don't care if they are gay or not but I do wonder why fashion houses or advertising agencies employ gay-looking models when their target audience is (presumably) heterosexual men.

Eva Longoria from Desperate Housewives, who as far as I know is not a gay icon, is on the cover and inside wearing skimpy outfits or, in one pic, only some chains to cover her modesty. These are not, I would imagine, likely to appeal to gay men.

I can imagine the ads going down well in Attitude, Boyz or ReFresh but a mag aimed at straight men? Can anyone enlighten me?

No comments: