This is my second blog and it includes anything that want to sound off about - politics, humour, sport, television, films, newspapers, books, etc, etc. The first blog http://pauldonnelley.blogspot.com is purely about politics. Enjoy - and your feedback is always appreciated.

Wednesday, 10 October 2007

Enough with the Elton John obsession

I like GQ. At the moment it is probably my favourite magazine. However, the obsession with Elton John in the November issue is wearing a little thin.

The edition celebrates the GQ Man of the Year Awards, a ceremony which was hosted by Elton John - so it is fair that he is mentioned there.

I am sure that Sir Elton is a very nice man. However, is it really necessary for Simon Kelner to tell us what "Elton and David's favourite restaurant" is during an interview with Christian Slater?

Or for Nick Foulkes to mention the singer several times in the opening paragraphs of his story about watches?

Frankly, I don't care where "Elton and David" eat. I couldn't give a monkey's about the "jeweller to the court of Sir Elton".

GQ is supposedly an aspirational mag for thirty- and fortysomethings. Sir Elton is in his sixties and rich beyond the dreams of avarice. More to the point, I believe that 90 per cent of the readers don't aspire to be like him...


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well written article.