This is my second blog and it includes anything that want to sound off about - politics, humour, sport, television, films, newspapers, books, etc, etc. The first blog http://pauldonnelley.blogspot.com is purely about politics. Enjoy - and your feedback is always appreciated.

Friday, 20 April 2007

Film reviews

This week I watched two films that the critics raved over.

On Saturday night I watched Helen Mirren in The Queen. As we all know it won Mirren an Oscar but I didn't think I had watched an Academy Award-winning performance.

We knew the story - the royals' reaction to the death of Diana, Princess of Wales and how Tony Blair saved them.

It was an entertaining film but Oscar-winning? No. And one scene did make me laugh - when Alastair Campbell comes back from the meeting at the Palace to discuss Diana's funeral, he walks into Downing Street and exclaims, "Flipping heck!"

Alastair Campbell? Flipping heck? I don't think so...

------------------

The other film was Borat.

I had seen clips and yes those clips did make me laugh but the whole film left an unpleasant taste in my mouth.

The Americans in the film were narrow-minded, bigoted or stupid but you can find those people in any country. And if some man tried to kiss me on a train, I think I would probably take umbrage as well. Similarly, if I was attending a function in a hotel, I would be shocked by the site of two naked men wrestling.

Good in small doses, not so funny in 1 hour and 20 minutes.

No comments: